Malcolm Gladwell suggested that one needs to put in the 10,000 hours to become exceptional at something. Researchers say that mere number of hours of experience don’t translate into exceptional performance, but what does is deliberate practice.
1. It is designed to improve performance by attacking weaknesses
2. It involves repetition (so one needs to overcome boredom)
3. It needs feedback to better the routine
4. It is highly demanding mentally (needs lots of focus in efforts)
5. It is hard (doing what you are bad at repeatedly cannot be fun)
6. It requires setting goals about improving the process rather than the outcome