This is part of a series on recipes that I use to fix myself a quick meal with as little number of ingredients as possible. The recipe below was put together by Deeksha. The speciality of this tomato chutney is that it can go with a lot of things. All kinds of rice, chips or bread.
- 400g tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- Indian Spice Box (chat masala, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a pan on low flame. To it add some cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- While the cumin seeds get mildly roasted, chop the onion finely. In some time the cumin seeds will give a pleasant odour.
- Add finely chopped onions to the pan and let them fry till golden brown (tip: Add salt to the onions as they then get cooked faster).
- Add finely chopped tomatoes or an equivalent amount of tomato paste. Let it cook for atleast 15 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add 1tbsp chat masala and 1/2 tbsp dried leaves of fenugreek (kasturi methi), if available. Mix well and cook for another few minutes. (Honey may be added to taste)
- Once cooked, pour in a bowl and enjoy it with corn chips, pilao rice, khakra, or any kind of bread.
Overall cooking time: 25 minutes
This is part of a series on recipes that I use to fix myself a quick meal with as little number of ingredients as possible.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion
- 300 g potatoes
- 100 g yogurt
- salt, Indian Spice box (red chilli, turmeric, garam masala, cumin seeds, mustard seeds)
- In a pan, pour 1tbsp olive oil and sauté chopped onions till they are nice and brown.
- In the meantime, take the potatoes and put it in a carry bag. Microwave the potatoes for 12 mins at 850W and check if they are cooked. If not, run for a few more minutes. This is probably the fastest way in which I have ever cooked potatoes. Simple, hassle-free and good results. PS: Potatoes put in without carry bag dry up and are not cooked evenly.
- Peel and chop the potatoes as you like. Add some salt here and mix the potatoes well.
- In the pan, add the salt & spices to taste (chilli first, followed by turmeric, garam masala & cumin seeds). Mix onions evenly and then add yogurt and about 50 mL water. Mix well. Add the potatoes to this mixture and stir again. Leave the preparation on medium flame for 5-10 mins.
- Pour in a bowl and enjoy with nan bread or khakra.
Overall cooking time: 35 mins
Hope you enjoy this recipe and if you do then don’t forget to subscribe to this blog by email.